Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas shoes, Presence vs. Presents, Giving, The Reason for the Season, All that Christmas Jazz.

It's Christmas eve and this morning I heard the song Christmas shoes.  Ever since childhood, this has been one of my favorite Christmas tunes.  I remember when I was younger, I always liked it because I thought it was so cool for a young boy to be buying his mom a present all by himself.  I had always wanted to be mature and try to buy Christmas presents by myself also.  When the song talks about the mother meeting Jesus that night, I had always thought that Jesus just came and visited the mom on Christmas.  The whole song just sounded really fun to me.

As I matured and aged, I still heard this song faithfully every year during Christmas time.  As I started to understand this song I was shocked to learn the real meaning of it.  The little boy's mother was dying! During Christmas! This just seemed so dreadful.  How could they write a song about someone during Christmas time? The stranger who gets to help the boy out was not in the Christmas mood.  He was just like how many people are in the stores, stressed out about Christmas and making sure they purchase everything on their list.  This little boy teaches the man a lesson.  He reminds him about what Christmas is really about.  This song always makes me emotional and brings tears to my eyes, as I am reminded of how blessed I am to have healthy family and friends. If you haven't heard this song I strongly encourage you to listen to it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpkI7GW2V34


It seems that this Christmas there has been to much death and sickness.  I cannot imagine what it would be like to be missing a loved one, especially during the holiday season.  It is easy to get caught up in all the presents you are receiving, but what should be more important are the people you are sharing it with.  You and I both need to enjoy the people in our presence and treasure the moments shared with them.

Last night my friends and I went to the light show called Celebrate the Light of the World.  This is an awesome show of Christmas lights that is synchronized to Christmas music.  It is put on for the Redcross organization.  My friends and I had saved a whole jar of change and we donated the whole thing.  I'm not quite sure how much it was, but it was an amazing feeling to be giving to those who need it.  This light show was exactly what we needed to put us into the Christmas spirit, there was even fake show! The video does not do the show justice but this gives you an idea what it was like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6HkBJL2BT0

And of course, we cannot forget the reason for the season.  Jesus Christ, our Lord! It is because, of this birthday boy that we have this holiday.  It is important to remember that he came down to earth so save us from our sins.  This baby boy saved our lives :)

So, with all that said have a very Merry Christmas!  Enjoy your time with your family and friends!   And remember why Christmas is truly important!

1 comment:

  1. Baille that song makes me cry every time I hear it.

    Hope you had a Blessed and Merry Christmas and that a Joyful New Year will follow.

    ReplyDelete